About the Societies

About the Societies

logo

         Founded in 1972, the International  Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (IASLC)  is  an  international  organization  of  nearly  3,000  lung  cancer specialist, spanning 80 countries. IASLC members work towards developing and promoting the  study  of  etiology ,  epidemiology ,  prevention,  diagnosis, treatment  and  all  other  aspects  of  lung  cancer.  IASLCs mission is to enhance the understanding and education of lung cancer to scientists, members of the medical community and the public.  In addition to the biannual meeting, the IASLC publishes the Journal of Thoracic Oncology, a prized resource for medical specialists and scientists who focus on the detection, prevention, diagnosis and treatment of lung cancer.

logo-TSCO_template

         The Thai Society of Clinical Oncology (TSCO) is a non-profit organization, founded in 1996, with primary goals to educate medical oncologist through major cancer centers in the university hospitals and improving cancer care along with other professional societies involving in treatment and prevention of cancer. Members include 169 registered medical oncologists practicing in various levels of cancer care throughout the country. In addition to advancing education of medical oncology, TSCO is committed to provide educations for other disciplines to advance quality of cancer care in Thailand.

lOGOGreenMedCMu

         In response to the need for more physicians to serve rural areas, particularly in the north of Thailand, the third medical school of Thailand was established. Sixty-five students were accepted for admission to the new medical school in 1958. To facilitate the development of the new faculty, Nakorn Chiang Mai Hospital was transferred from the Ministry of Public Health to the University of Medical Science in 1959.

The University of Illinois greatly assisted in the establishment of the faculty by providing 35 of its staffs to teach here during the period of 1962 to 1970. It also gave scholarships for Thai instructors to be trained in the United States and then to return to teach in Chiang Mai.

When Chiang Mai University was established, the School of Medicine atNakorn Chiang Mai Hospital, University of Medical Science became the Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University. This change became formal on March 16, 1965. Since then the Faculty has grown continuously. It has fully achieved its original mandate and is now the largest medical school in northern Thailand and operates the largest and most comprehensive hospital in this region.